Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Parmesan Pea Risotto

Risotto is not hard, it's just time consuming, but well worth the time. Creamy and cheesy, it's perfect for a fall evening.

Start with Aborio rice - 1 cup. Don't mind the vinegar in the background - don't put that in your risotto!

Chop an onion, I used a whole one, you could get by with half, but I like onion. Saute the onion in about 2 teaspoons of olive oil and a teaspoon of butter. Just when you start to smell the onions, add the rice and stir and stir and stir for about 8 minutes.



In the meantime, with your 3rd arm.... heat up 4-5 cups of chicken stock, keep this close and at a simmer. You need to add hot broth to the rice or your risotto will not be cooked through.

When your rice has sauteed for 8 minutes, add 1/2 cup of white wine (red would be fine, too, the result will be red risotto!) and cook out. Then add one ladle of broth to your pan and stir in a figure 8 pattern. Stir and stir and stir. Stir until you can see the bottom of your pan...see below.

At this time, add another ladle of broth and repeat until the rice is cooked through and creamy. It will take at least 4 cups of broth, probably closer to 5. And it will take you at least 30 minutes, don't get anxious and add more broth! Just relax and drink some more wine.
When your rice is cooked, add as many frozen peas as you like. I really like peas....

Stir until the peas are hot. I also added some chopped basil and parsley because I had them on hand. Just before service add a couple of handfuls of Parmesan cheese, not the fake stuff, people, get the real thing. I promise you will not be disappointed. Weight Watchers calls for 4 Tablespoons of cheese, which is probably what I put in, not counting the extra I added to my dish before I ate it :)
I served roasted butternut squash along with my risotto (toss cubes of squash in olive oil and salt and pepper and roast in a 425 degree oven until browned) and a glass of homemade Pinot Grigio.
You could use vegetable stock and make this a vegetarian meal...
Weight Watchers Points - 7 for 1 & 1/2 cups
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment